Short term car insurance for younger drivers under 25

A number of insurers provide short-term cover for the under 25s, for between a single day and four weeks. Learner drivers can apply for their own temporary insurance to drive someone else's car from the age of 17 upwards (see more information here) and for those with a full driving licence cover is available from 19 upwards from Sky Insurance Ltd (where you will need to have held a full driving licence for at least a year) .

Will I qualify for a policy?

Insurers all base their decisions on a number of factors which include age, driving experience, postcode, and accident record (if any). The majority of young drivers in the UK should qualify without any problems. As usual accidents or convictions might not necessarily stop a policy from been issued but may well affect the premium.

What sort of car is acceptable?

Each insurer has a list of cars which can be covered, and these usually include most of the popular vehicles on UK roads today. Do bear in mind though that there is usually a maximum amount of up to about £35,000 to £40,000 that would be paid off in the event of the total loss of your own car, so some of the hot motors above may well be worth a lot more than that! All vehicle must have been registered and kept in the UK, be right-hand drive and unmodified (exept for modifications for disabled drivers) and should have a maximum number of seats (usually about seven, depending upon the insurer) including the driver's.

Do I need to actually own the vehicle?

You can apply for insurance to cover either a car or light van that you own or one that you have borrowed, with the owner's permission. This would include, for example, a vehicle you were test driving with a view to buying it, a friend's car that you were driving for a short period or a car of your own that you had laid up for a while (provided of course that it was taxed and MOT'd).

Can I take a car abroad?

Most policies cover driving in the EU but although cover in the UK is comprehensive, standard EU cover is the equivalent of third-party only. In other words you can legally drive through the EU countries but in the event of an accident you would be unable to claim for anything other than damage to other people or their property. There is usually an option, however, to upgrade to comprehensive EU cover if you wish.

I have a foreign licence, is this a problem?

EU licences are accepted by most insurers, and some will even cover visitors from Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and other Commonwealth countries where driving conditions are reasonably similar to those in the UK. There may well be other conditions however which will vary from one policy to another.

Is it safe?

All companies offering insurance in the UK have to be vetted and authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority and they are tightly regulated. In the event of an authorised company being unable to meet its obligations (in other words, going bust!) The FCA have a fund (details here) that individuals can apply to as a last resort.

The companies we link to are, of course, authorised and regulated by the FCA.

Getting a quote should take less than a minute, and then actually buying the policy should take no more than a few more minutes provided that you have your driving licence details and the registration details of the car that you want to drive available. Documentation is then available to download if you wish to do so. The simple application is made online so you can buy a policy at any time of day or night. Click the link to get a quote now.